The building of the so-called Šustala House is situated in a central park within the municipality – Dr. Edvard Beneš Park. It is one of the few examples of this type of elegant residential architecture in Kopřivnice. The building was commissioned and built in 1889 by Josef Šustala, son of Ignác Šustala, the founder of the Kopřivnice carriage manufactory, following a project by the architect Heinrich Czeike from Nový Jičín. At the same time, a villa for Josef’s brother Adolf Šustala and his family had been built in the near vicinity. Both buildings were originally surrounded by gardens and a park with several utility structures.
The Šustala family lived in the villa until 1945 when they were evicted as native Germans and then displaced from Czechoslovakia. In 1947 the building was allocated for the purposes of the newly established Lachian Museum, and it is therefore the oldest official museum building in the city. In the second half of the 20th century it underwent several building conversions, and had served the museum purposes until 1997. In 1999 it was declared a cultural monument and opened to the public again as the Lachian Museum after a reconstruction in 2005.